Every year on MLK Day, we celebrate the power of community and our big dream of books and literacy for all kids with our biggest event of the year: Dream Big! The celebration is part book drive, part volunteer event, part community partner fair, part festival, and all party and fun! Join us at Durham Central Park (501 Foster St, Durham, NC 27701) from 1-4 PM.
This year will be joined by community favorites including: free popcorn from Mad Popper; The Poetry Fox; Wool E. Bull; Scrap Exchange; Mr. A's Beignets, and MORE!
Important Event Information:
- Due to the rising number of local COVID cases, masks will be required at the event.
- The drive-through option will be along Foster Street; follow the line of traffic and Dream Big volunteers will help you unload your car and/or provide you with bags of children's books (one bag per child).
- Follow us on social media for updates: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook.
- In addition to street parking, Dream Big attendees are cleared to park in the following lots: 1) Old Durham Bulls lot at 550 W Corporation Street; 2) the main parking lot at 400 Foster Street.
*We know it will be cold, but we are still planning to move forward with the event (updated Sunday, January 16, at 8:15 PM). Not able to join us? No worries! We will be counting ALL books donated through January 31 in our official Dream Big book tally! You're more than welcome to place them in our outdoor donation bins (available 24/7, Monday-Sunday) at 2501 University Drive in Durham.
Become a 2022 Sponsor!
2022 marks the 11th Dream Big Book Drive and Community Celebration! This annual family-friendly event celebrates our big dream: BOOKS FOR ALL KIDS!
Dream Big brings families, schools, local businesses, congregations, and civic groups together to affirm our commitment to books for all kids.
Why be a Dream Big Sponsor? Sponsoring Dream Big demonstrates your investment in children’s literacy and your commitment to ensure that children have everything they need to succeed. As a sponsor of Book Harvest’s big dreams, you will be recognized as a game-changer for children and families throughout North Carolina!
2022 Dream Big Sponsorship Levels
Be a 2022 Dream Big Sponsor
See the 2021 Dream Big Final Report
Run a Dream Big Book Drive
Join the biggest community book drive of the year! We invite individuals, groups, and organizations to collect books then bring them to the 2022 Dream Big Book Drive! On MLK Day every year, we collect tens of thousands of books thanks to our wonderful community. All books donated between December 1, 2021 through January 31, 2022 will count toward our 2022 Dream Big total.
Follow the simple steps below and start collecting books in your neighborhood, workplace, congregation, civic group, sports team…the possibilities are endless!
Get a tub/bin/basket and set up your book drive collection site. Choose a high-traffic location - your front porch, your office, your neighborhood gathering spot. Print a sign for your book drive collection bins.
Deliver the books! You can bring your books to our Dream Big Book drive event on January 17, 2022. You can also drop them anytime, 24/7, in the collection bins outside our office at 2501 University Drive in the Rockwood Shopping Center in Durham. They will still count toward our Dream Big total as long as you let us know they're part of a book drive when you drop them off. If you're hosting a virtual drive, book delivery will be taken care of for you! The Regulator Book Shop will bring your books to Dream Big on January 17 where you can take photos with them if you'd like.
Dream Big Book Drives 2022
- All Families Matter Book Drive
- Alpha Zeta Omega, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
- American Village Book Drive
- Aon Book Drive
- Ari Joy’s Book Drive
- Autumn Woods Book Drive
- Be Healthy Ministries Book Drive!
- Bortiri Book Drive @ Forest Hills
- Carolina Friends School
- Carpenter Village Neighborhood
- Chapel Hill Cooperative Preschool Book Drive
- Chapel Hill Tire
- Churton Grove Neighborhood
- Clifton & Mauney Orthodontics & Pediatric Dentistry
- DLAR D&I Book Drive
- Donoway Family Book Drive
- DPR Construction Flash Project
- Dream Initiative Non-Profit Organization
- The Dream is Now Scholars
- Duke Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Duke Hospital Pre/PACU
- Duke Hospital Radiology Department
- Durham Democratic Women
- Durham Fire Department
- Durham Mothers Club
- Durham Realtors
- Eno River/Pleasant Green Book Drive
- Gifted Stars Early Learning Academy Book Drive
- Greater Chapel Hill Area Moms
- Hendrix’s 3rd Birthday Book Drive
- Highlands Neighborhood
- Hope Valley Farms - Carlton Crossings
- Hope Valley Farms North
- Jewish for Good
- Johnson Family Book Drive
- Jolly Family Book Drive
- Knox St Studios
- Lake Hogan Farms and nearby communities
- Legend Oaks Book Drive
- Lulu Press Book Drive
- Mangum Elementary School
- McCaffrey Family Book Drive
- Monarch Movement Community Book Drive
- Montessori Community School
- Montessori Farm School
- Museum of Life and Science
- Navy Federal Credit Union Raleigh Market
- Naylor Family Book Drive
- NoRa Cafe
- Northgate Park Book Drive
- Oak Church
- Oltmans Family Book Drive
- Participate Learning
- Pearsontown Elementary School PTA
- Preston Neighborhood
- Principled Technologies
- Reading is for Everyone
- Resource Center Book Drive
- Restoration Blueprint Author, Jameka Vereen
- Ridgefield/Briarcliff neighborhood book drive
- RTI International
- Ruff Family Book Drive
- Salter Family Book Drive
- Sarah Avenue Book Drive
- Slane Family Book Drive
- Southern Village Neighborhood
- Starr Family Book Drive
- Strata Clean Energy
- The Literary Gaggle Book Club
- The Smile Shop
- Timberlyne and Timberlyne Estates Book Drive
- Tmsa Young Activists Club
- Triangle Day School
- Triangle Park (NC) Chapter of The Links, Incorporated
- Trotter Ridge Neighborhood
- United Bank
- UNC Women's Basketball Book Drive
- University of North Carolina Press
- Vera Morris
- Wake Radiology UNC REX Healthcare
- Walcott Book Drive
- Walk West Book Drive
- Weaver Street Market
- Westminster School for Young Children
- WordBear & Curvy HoneyBees
Hold a Virtual Book Drive
Do you live outside central North Carolina but want to support our cause? Or would rather do a book drive online? You can run a Virtual Book Drive! Books can be purchased from Book Harvest's online wishlist through The Regulator, an independent book store in Durham. Groups will be given a special code to use upon checking out to ensure that the books they purchase will go toward their goal. The books will be shipped directly to The Regulator, who will then bring the books to Dream Big on January 17. It's as simple as that!
Register your book drive to get started.
Questions? Contact us at (252) 497-BOOK, or email Book Harvest’s Communications Manager, Benay Hicks, at firstname.lastname@example.org.