January 26, 2023
Today’s blog post was creating using materials from Talking is Teaching, a campaign of Too Small to Fail.
Books build connections, which is one of the reasons it’s important to read with your little one every day. Today’s blog is a list of fun ways to engage with the little ones in your life. You can download a PDF of the full list, plus a list of suggested book-themed books and videos, at the bottom of the page.
- Talk about feelings! When you read a book with your little one, talk about characters’ emotions. You can ask: “How does he feel? How would you feel? Why?”
- While you read books with your baby, point to and talk about the pictures: “Look, the red train goes choo-choo!”
- It’s natural for children to choose the same book to read over and over. It helps them learn new words and concepts!
- Encourage your baby to help turn the pages when you read a book together!
- Take turns showing each other different faces and use words to describe them: “We’re smiling because we’re happy!”
- Share a book or a song in your native language. It’s a great way to introduce your child to your home culture!
- Books can helps develop empathy! When reading together ask questions like: “How do you think the character feels?”