By Benay Hicks, Communications Manager
October 14, 2021
In this season of forced ingenuity, many of us often find ourselves marveling at new simplicities that seem so obvious now. Like working from home, contactless ordering at restaurants, online grocery shopping, and countless small adjustments that dropped into our worlds like clockwork. Book Harvest has continued to get creative since March 2020, working to reach families in ways that may have never occurred to us had the virus not spread. And in the dawn of our 11th Annual Dream Big Book Drive, we are now working to ensure that friends of Book Harvest — no matter how far away from Durham they may live, or how little they see coworkers in the workplace — can be a Dream Big Book Drive Captain.
This year, Dream Big Book Drive Captains can captain their drive virtually!
In partnership with The Regulator Book Shop, an independent book store in Durham, individuals anywhere can run — and contribute to — a book drive for Book Harvest. Each virtual book drive will be assigned a unique purchase code. When books are purchased from Book Harvest’s online wish list, maintained on The Regulator website, individuals will enter their book drive’s unique code so all purchases will be credited to their specific book drive. The books will be shipped directly to The Regulator, who will store them and bring the books to Dream Big on January 17.
Interested in running a drive this winter? The steps are listed below, and the video shows you just how simple it is!
- Register your book drive, and be sure to select the virtual book drive option. All books collected/purchased/delivered between December 1 and January 31 will go toward Book Harvest’s Dream Big Book Drive goals.
- Once your drive is registered, Book Harvest and The Regulator will work behind the scenes to create your book drive’s special code. You will be contacted when the code is ready and your friends/family/colleagues can begin purchasing books here: www.regulatorbookshop.com/wishlist/139
- Promote your book drive! You can use this image or create your own. We can help by providing additional photos and information – just ask!
- The books will be shipped directly to The Regulator, who will store them and bring the books to Dream Big on January 17.
- Book drive groups can then take photos with their donated books at Dream Big, if they wish.
All books collected/purchased/delivered between December 1 and January 31 will go toward Book Harvest’s Dream Big Book Drive goals. Start planning to host your drive today!
Because we believe that when children have access to an abundance of books, amazing things happen. Vocabularies flourish. Empathy thrives. Curiosity ignites. Children learn. And when children have access to books that reflect and affirm their lived experience, they become lifelong readers!
Questions? Visit the Dream Big page or contact Benay Hicks at firstname.lastname@example.org.